Mp3tag v3.01 released

Mp3tag v3.01 released

The world is in another place since the last time I've written release notes in this section. I hope that all of you are staying safe and healthy.

I’ve used my time working from home and practicing social distancing to create a new version of Mp3tag and wanted to take the opportunity to detail some of the new features and changes for you.

Support for the WebM file format

This new version adds support for the WebM file format (file extension *.webm), a container format that is mainly used for video in the context of the web.

Feature "Adjust cover" to resize cover art

I've added the feature "Adjust cover", which I've introduced as action with the previous release, to the right-click context-menu of the cover art window.

Availability of freedb servers

The current operator of the public freedb servers announced to stop its services as of March 31, 2020. I've decided to not remove the freedb feature from Mp3tag for now, because it could be that alternative servers emerge from this situation.
If not, I can only recommend to use MusicBrainz. It's a high-quality alternative to freedb and is officially supported by Mp3tag.

:rocket: Download the new version

:orange_heart: Support my work as an Indie Developer

As always, thank you for reading, your interest and your support.

Take care and stay safe
— Florian

Additional Features and Fixes

Click here to expand

New Features

  • added 'Adjust cover' to resize cover art via cover context menu. (#47644, #47682)
  • added support for *.jfif image file extension when adding cover art. (#47546)
  • added support for WebM Container *.webm files.
  • added support for WebM Container *.webm for Explorer context menu shell extension (requires restart to be updated if already installed).


  • added option to retry write to file operations from file list if file is being used by another application.
  • added option to retry write to file operations if file is being used by another application. (#3487, #5786, #18951, #19047, #44969)
  • moved MP4-related optimization functions to Utils submenu in right-click context menu.
  • optimized performance of local freedb index creation.
  • replace action now uses more characters to detect word boundaries if match as whole word is enabled. (#48186)
  • web sources commands debug and debugwriteinput now use app data directory as base if output filename has relative path.
  • added link to privacy policy from help menu as now required by Microsoft Store guidelines.

Bug Fixes

  • filtered file list was not refreshed in some cases when files were added via drag and drop. (#48016)
  • iTunes Soundcheck data produced by $rg2sc() was not detected for MP3 ID3v2 anymore. (#8069, #47702)
  • list column width was not automatically adjusted when resizing action and export dialogs. (#45316)
  • local freedb index database was deleted right after creation in some cases. (#40956)
  • multi-field search for album-only tag sources used encoding on whole parameter fragment when building URLs.
  • multi-field search for tag sources did not expand search placeholder %s in URLs anymore. (#48172)
  • navigation via tab was not possible at extended tags dialog if previous or next buttons reached the end and got disabled.
  • populating the context menu and setting the context-menu item texts was off in some cases (since v3.00a). (#47882)
  • possible memory issue when handling Apple QuickTime chapter information.
  • possible runtime error when editing files via the file list while files were loading. (#47085)
  • save configuration did not include *.inc files from tag sources directory. (#48220)
  • saving MP4 with existing QuickTime chapters used global title instead of chapter names when creating Nero chapters. (#47883)
  • track length for Matroska files with chapters was length of first chapter also if listing of chapters as separate files was disabled. (#47564)
  • web sources command gotoline failed if target line was empty. (#47769)