Multiple export results at the same time are not available

If you have some export script in the Export window, you can execute it- and as a result have the pop up question showing up, asking if you want to see the results. I personally 99.99% of the time want to see them

But what happens if the user wants to execute this export script one more time [with other files being selected] or any other export script for that matter- but without closing prior to that that TXT file with the first results? The pop up question will show up once again, but it will do nothing- apparently because Mp3tag does not overwrites the already existing file with results if it is opened

And so:

1] If it does not overwrites- then why pop up the useless question?

2] If it does not overwrites by default- why not ask the user about that after the new list was supposedly generated?

3] If it does not overwrites by default- why not give the user an option to do so; that could be selected in the Export window, among those two other boxes ["Append data" and "One file per directory"]?

4] If it does not overwrites by default- why not by default just create another file with something like "_2" or "V2" at the end of its name; thus allowing for opening and showing to the user the content of this "2" file?

I personally often repeat the same export script; sometimes in a workflow that requires from me using also other export scripts. But no matter what export action I need in a given moment, I always need first to close the TXT file before I execute an action

Thus a propose implementing of the point 3 and 4 from above

You can set whether you want to get a message after an export in
Tools>Options>Messages.

I have that option selected since probably the beginning of using Mp3tag

All it does it asks, if I want to see the results- but the results shown are always the same; unless I first close the file containing the old ones

I just created 4 reports from (the same set of) files:
2x html,
2x txt
all of them were called "new export file" plus the extension.
I got 4 different outputs, 2 in the browser (as standard program for html), 2 in Notepad with separate instances of Notepad.
So I cannot reproduce the behaviour that you reported that you do not see the result unless you close the previous result display.

I have checked this once again in version 2.88d. I also unchecked that option, reopened the Mp3tag and chose that option as active one again

And once again: I agree to displaying of new export results, but the displayed TXT file stays the same; while the actual file on the drive gets replaced with a new one

I am not quite sure what you mean: the filename stays the same?
In my test setup I did the following:
select a set of files
Open File>Export
select an export script, let it run until the message box appears which asks whether I want to see the results which I confirm.
The standard program to display files of the generated type gets opened and shows the result.
I leave that program and the generated file open.
I now create a different report but for the same file type.
And again, the (next instance of the) standard program gets opened, this time displaying the new result - I can see them side by side on the screen.

What do I have to do differently? Where did I misinterpret you?

So you do not "leave" as in "leave something be as it is", because you

Apparently nothing

You get a second instance of Notepad or whatever you are using- but I do not. Apparently I have another nasty bug. I use Notepad2 and have no other issues with it. It handles my TXT files without problem everywhere elsewhere [I hope I did not just commit a grammatical tautology]

But I have just checked my desktop computer vs. laptop and my own vs. default Mp3tag config files

1] This bug was present on my desktop computer with new default [from installation] settings

2] This bug was not present on my laptop with new default [from installation] settings

3] This bug was not present on my laptop with my own old [improved with years] settings

4] This bug was present on my desktop computer with my old own [improved with years] settings

Apparently this is consistent with other bug that I have for years: [X] Filter doesn't remember positioning

Manifestation for both bugs occur in the same conditions bu with one profound difference- just look at the point 1of both my reports. That other bug [concerning Filter box] I do not have with default settings of the 2.88d version, while this [concerning export actions] I do have

[X] Filter doesn't remember positioning

MP3tag opens the default application for a certain file type.
So what is the difference between your laptop and your desktop in respect to file associations?

I did take care of other settings, so that they would be similar on both of the systems- but forgot about the most obvious one: the software that presents the export file

And so I took Notepad2 which I use on the desktop computer to the laptop- and immediately the bug showed up: Mp3tag kept popping questions but could not open a second instance of Notepad2. And so I kept seeing the same export results although the file itself with those results was changing its content- which I could check in ordinary Notepad by loading the export file to it after each execution of the Mp3tag export action. So the next logic thing was to do the opposite: revert from Notepad2 to ordinary Notepad on the desktop system- and immediately the bug was gone. So, is the Notepad2 the culprit? Not entirely. Because I started to test other pieces of software, designating them in the desktop's OS as the handlers of the TXT format, one by one

These do not manifest the bug [or "bug" to be more precise at this point of these revelations]:

• Notepad 6.1 Build 7601 (Service Pack 1)
  • Notepad++ 6.7.9.2
  • Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 10.0 Build 4117
  • Firefox 56.0.2
  • Internet Explorer 11.0.9600.18282

But these did display the same problem, of not producing more instances [but kept rewriting the file itself on the hard drive]

• Notepad2 4.2.25
  • WordPad 6.1 Build 7601 (Service Pack 1)

And this one also had a problem, in that it spitted out a message that a file [that TXT with export results] could not be opened for writing [as apparently it took notice that it already was opened in it]

• Libre Office Writer 5.2.3.3

So this seems to be somewhat similar to this problem [F] Cannot drop files dragged from a Plain View selection from FreeCommander which has been recently taken care off by the Mp3tag developer [similar in that sense that some third party software had no problem with a specific cooperation with FreeCommander while Mp3tag unfortunately had]. So there is:

A] a question to @Florian: can this also be somehow adjusted, so that for example Notepad2 can open second inconstancy [with which in other circumstances Notepad2 has no problem whatsoever]?

B] a question to everybody else: do you also have the same problem after changing TXT handling software to those last 3 that I have listed?

If this cannot be dealt with in a similar way as that FreeCommander problem evoked by me, then it can be taken care off [most likely] by what I have postulated at the beginning: by creating the export file with a number at its end, each time an export action is ordered that number becoming bigger by 1. This second solution could be also beneficial for user that do not have this problem of mine, as it would allow to store the export result in form of individual files and not like as it is currently: with the most recent result in the file and the of the export results residing in the RAM

Come to think of it, instead of a number at the end, a better information would be a date followed by the hour [with the usage of seconds]. This way it would be more comprehensive. And then also the name of the action could be place after a mandatory EXPORT word in the beginning; thus creating something like ``EXPORT My export action for album titles 2018-06-22--21-05-59. Of course this expanded description could be implemented as an select-able option; with an additional option that would delete all of these export files when the Mp3tag is being closed

As the filename for an export is a format string, you can include %_date% to get a unique filename.
Whether a program allows more than one instance is up to the called program, not to the calling program. So I see very little chance to influence the behaviour of Notepad++ by modifying MP3tag.
What I do see: the user could set a different standard program for the troubling file type.

Great idea!
And using %_datetime% essentially guarantees that a new file is created if the same export is used more than once for a different set of files.

This works only if you do this no often that once per every day...

[Notepad++ takes notice of the request from Mp3tag; you must have meant the Notepad2]

Notepad2 has no problem with multiple instances. Whats more: In my Windows 7 I even use 5 versions of Notepad2 at the same time. As it this software does not require an installation, I simply renamed Notepad2.exe to Notepad2-1.exe and assigned to it TXT files. And then I also renamed Notepad2.exe to Notepad2-2.exe and assigned to it INI and CFG files; etc.

And then I placed them all in one folder in Program Files [just for convenience of future adjustments] and changed various color settings in all of those versions to some individual ones. And so I can never mistake ordinary TXT for a INI file, or a REG for CFG. [And I also changed icons, with a third party software, of all of those EXE files to the same one- but each in color matching the looks of a given Notepad2 version]

Yeas, of course. But I am not eager to reorganize my whole system [consisting of Notepad, Notepad2 x 5 and Notepad++] just on the account of that one issue

...but what I could do is this workaround:

That not only does the trick of getting around of the issue of opening of a second instance- but it also saves those export results as separate files, for later usage

So thank you @ohrenkino and @ryerman for this sollution

However: is there some other date & time code? This %_DATETIME% writes the time in as 000000 format, while I would prefer some kind of markers between the hours, minutes and seconds. I tried googling "%_date% time" and such, but I got nowhere as it breaks the search engine. The %_FILE_MOD_DATE% takes the date of the audio file, while the %_TIME% does not seem to exists

Written as ordinary text, %_datetime% has separators.
But in a filename, not all these separators are allowed - so they are omitted. You can use the $validate() function to set one character or use $replace() to set special pairs for replacement.

Unfortunately there is a problem with that. Well to be precise not with that but with the Export window

I seems that once you put your %_DATETIME% [or whatever addition], you cannot choose some other export action- unless you want to loose that addition. And yes- I checked what I have under the

Tools > Options > Export > Export file name:

I have
C:\Users\MY-USER-NAME\Documents\Mp3tag export list %_DATETIME%.txt

But in my Export window I have however
C:\Users\MY-USER-NAME\Documents\Mp3tag export list.txt
which is the old version [from the time when I started this topic]

And so either:

A] the change did not hold up from the get go [the time when I did check that workaround I thanked for it here for it] but I just did not notice the disappearing aspect

B] the change did hold up but some update of Mp3tag messed things up

C] I have since then selected some option that reverts / contradicts my older settings [which might have made that workaround permanent]

the filename for the export file is constructed like this:

• from the export script with the $filename() statement
  • from the export dialogue - this takes the $filename() as default but can be overwritten and be used for the current export
  • from the Options>Export settings - this is the default string that is taken when nothing is specified in the $filename() statement.
    So it could be that you have set something different from the Options>Export setting in $filename().