Need help, to choose/add multiple values from the tag panel drop-down

I've already added a couple of custom entries to the Artists tag in the Options > Tag Panel > Custom list values. But the tracks I've chosen to add the Artists tag has multiple entries which should be like Artist1 \ \ Artist2 \ \ .. . But the difficulty is that I could choose only one artist's name from the Artist Tag-Panel drop-down. If one artist's name is selected from the list then the drop-down shows only < blank > and < keep >, even after entering the \ \ separator, but I want to select/add more than one value from the drop-down. Is that possible?

You would have to select all the files that have the same artists as source,
as a safety measure, copy that string with all the entries, separated with \\ and add the missing data after the \\.

Alternatively, use the extended tags dialogue Alt-T where you can add another field.

If you want to add a specific string to a varying list of ARTISTS, the use Convert>tag-Tag for ARTISTS
Format string: %artists%\\New Artist

Of, if you want to see a list of ARTISTS, separated by \\ then you would have to add that data to the pre-defined entries for that field and untick "Prefer list entries".

1 Like

I see, yes I've been trying the first two methods you suggested for sometime. I think there should be a little feature to add more than one custom value to specific field by just selecting/clicking one after another from the pre-defined drop-down list (for eg: from the drop-down, at the first click/selection it adds Artist1, then at the next click it adds Artist9, so it automatically becomes Artist1\ \Artist9 in that value field, instead of typing \ \ .

This is a good idea if it can be implemented. But a single click should remain as the current standard to replace the existing info with the chosen list value. Perhaps a Shift-click, Alt-click, or Ctrl-click option can identify that you wish to append the value as an additional artist and do this in a future version though? This would be up to @Florian to decide if it is feasible.

1 Like

Just to give an impression - if I wanted to Eric Clapton to all these appearances ... wouldn't an action be much more effective than to select each variation and add Eric Clapton...?
All in all these variation appear in more than 400 tracks in my collection and I am not even sure I got the correct data. But would clicking and pointing really speed up things? It probably depends an awful lot on the workflow.

Artist Participants
B.B. King; Eric Clapton Riley Burt King (vocals, guitar); Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Blind Faith Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Peter Edward Baker; Rick Grech; Stephen Lawrence Winwood (vocals, piano, lead guitar, organ)
Buddy Guy George Guy; Riley Burt King (vocals, guitar); Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Carlos Santana Carlos Humberto Santana Barragán (guitar); Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Cher Cherilyn Sarkisian La Pierre (vocals); Christine Ellen Hynde (vocals); Neneh Mariann Cherry (vocals); Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Cream Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Peter Edward Baker; John Symon Asher Bruce
Delaney & Bonnie & Friends Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Derek & The Dominos Bobby Whitlock; Carl Radle; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Jim Gordon
Derek & The Dominos Bobby Whitlock; Carl Radle; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Jim Gordon; James George Thirlwell
Eric Clapton Alan Anthony Silvestri; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Eric Clapton Alan Skidmore; Aynsley Dunbar; Bobby Haynes; Buddy Whittington; Chris Dreja; Chris Mercer; Coco Montoya; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); James Patrick Page; Jim McCarty; Joe Yuele; John Mayall; John McVie (bass); Jon Hiseman; Keef Hartley; Keith Relf; Keith Tillman; Larry Taylor; Mick Taylor; Paul Samwell-Smith; Peter Green (2); Ray Warleigh; Rick Cortes; Ricky Brown (2); Rip Kant; Tony Reeves; Walter Trout
Eric Clapton Alan Skidmore; Aynsley Dunbar; Bobby Haynes; Buddy Whittington; Chris Dreja; Chris Mercer; Coco Montoya; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Jim McCarty; Joe Yuele; John Mayall; John McVie (bass); Jon Hiseman; Keef Hartley; Keith Relf; Keith Tillman; Larry Taylor; Mick Taylor; Paul Samwell-Smith; Peter Green (2); Ray Warleigh; Rick Cortes; Ricky Brown (2); Rip Kant; Tony Reeves; Walter Trout
Eric Clapton Bobby Whitlock; Carl Radle; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Jim Gordon
Eric Clapton Bonnie Bramlett; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Eric Clapton Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Eric Clapton Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Cecil Womack (vocals); Linda Womack (vocals)
Eric Clapton Frank König (author); Christian Pfarr (author); Katharina Heinius (author)
Eric Clapton Robert Allen Zimmerman (vocals, guitar, blues harp)
Eric Clapton & Carlos Santana Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Carlos Humberto Santana Barragán (guitar)
Eric Clapton; Stevie Ray Vaughan Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Stevie Ray Vaughn (vocals, guitar)
John Mayall John Mayall; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
John Mayall's Bluesbreakers Alan Skidmore; Aynsley Dunbar; Bobby Haynes; Buddy Whittington; Chris Mercer; Coco Montoya; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Joe Yuele; John Mayall; John McVie (bass); Jon Hiseman; Keef Hartley; Keith Tillman; Larry Taylor; Mick Taylor; Peter Green (2); Ray Warleigh; Rick Cortes; Ricky Brown (2); Rip Kant; Tony Reeves; Walter Trout
King Curtis; Delaney Bramlett; Eric Clapton & Friends Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Tina Turner Anna Mae Bullock (vocals); Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
Yardbirds Chris Dreja; Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar); Jim McCarty; James Patrick Page; Keith Relf; Paul Samwell-Smith
Zucchero Zucchero Fornaciari (vocals, guitar); Eric Patrick Clapton (vocals, guitar)
1 Like

Not all workflow has to follow a single path. In your first example as a guide, perhaps someone has a track that already has just B. B. King as the Artist. Using their pre-defined Artist list, when in the drop-down list if the (alternative)-click was used to select Eric Clapton, the end result would be the field would then contain B. B. King//Eric Clapton (mp3tag would append the multi-field separator and the newly selected list choice). Up to the user to apply the Action to separate these afterwards if desired.

This would be dependent on the list being pre-defined, so the Artist field may be a stretch in many cases. However when applied to more succinct fields that may be more likely to be user managed such as Genre or Composer, this would help maintain consistency.

1 Like

Thanks again for the responses @MotleyG, @ohrenkino :blush:. I'm just putting an idea (a feature request) to ease up the workflow (I think, lol :sweat_smile:). This is like if we click the '+' button near the Artist field, as in this example, the phrase \ \ automatically gets added and the pre-defined values or the already existing values gets automatically opens up, so that with just few clicks and a few scrolls the desired value could be easily added to that field. I think just typing the characters \ \ should also open up the drop-down list, and a special Filter feature would also be nice that filters up those list when we type the desired value, if there're too much values, so we could just use the keyboard to edit/add these.

I'm suggesting this according to my workflow, so not sure if this will easier up other's :blush:.

The way to do this currently is to manually type the expected field data into the desired tag field, including the preferred separator in the case of multiple values. Or copy/paste some or all details from another source.

The use cases described by all of the above examples may be somewhat unique to each user’s needs, so not sure if this will make the cut to get further support.

1 Like

Ditto (for example) is useful, in my opinion. It helps a lot in such cases. One of its options: paste multiple copied texts at once.

Isn't that a function that is already implemented in Windows if you switch it on in
WIndows Settings>System>Clipboard?
With Windows-V you can recall a list of items from the clipboard.

2 Likes

Maybe, i do not know. In terms of usability (not reliability), the best Windows was XP. After i had to break up with it for good, i have been sticking to Win7 ever since. It can still be used. So, i do not know the possibilities of newer Windows.

OFF
(Same thing with Office. After being horrified by Office 2013, i successfully switched back to Office 2003 and have been using it ever since.
billgates wants to hold my hand and to tell me, what to do and what not to do, like i am a stupid bastard. But he is wrong: i am an adult.)

1 Like

Also OFF:

An adult knowing that his 20 year old Mircrosoft Office is no more supported since 8. April 2014. No security updates since 9 years?
An adult knowing that his Windows 7 is no more supported since 14. Januar 2020. No security updates since 3 years?

BTW: There are Office suites like LibreOffice. For Free.

I'm really hope you are using your OS and Office on a computer without any internet connection, without possibility to use an USB stick or any other external source. Only for your music and Mp3tag. But wait, how old is your Mp3tag? :innocent: :wink:

Your computer skills seems to be incomplete. Yes: no security updates. And? I have been using a computer for 30 years, the last time I found a virus, was before 2005, but on my daughter's computer. Internet: 24 hours a day. I know, how to protect myself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.