Need some help Moving Files to new location

Hi All,

I'm using Mp3tag in conjunction with dBpoweramp to clean up my library.

I thought I'd easily be able to move everything to a new location on my NAS using the Tag-Filename function, but quickly found out it didn't move the entire contents of the directory, Folder.jpg was left behind in the original location.

So after some searching on this forum I found out about the tag-tag function using the field _DIRECTORY.

My format is like this:

I:\MusicNEW\%albumartist%\%album%[$num(%discnumber%,1)-]$num(%track%,2) - %title%

So basically I'd like everthing to be moved to a new location with one folder for multidisc albums and with the discnumber (if present) added to the filename.

Something seems to be wrong though because I tested this with one album (not multidisc and no discnumber tag) and ended up with this folder path:

I:\MusicNEW\Bobby Bland & B.B. King\I Like to Live the Love\07 - Goin' Down Slow</b>01 - Three O'Clock Blues.flac

07 - Goin' Down Slow is the first track in the list in mp3tag, coincidence? I think not?

Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Michael

If you want to move a whole DIRECTORY then you should leave out anything that has to do with the filename.
So
I:\MusicNEW\%albumartist%\%album%[$num(%discnumber%,1)-]$num(%track%,2) - %title%should only be:
I:\MusicNEW\%albumartist%\%album%\

If you want to also rename the file then do that before you move the whole directory (or afterwards) - but do it in 2 steps.

Thank you ohrenkino.

Currently my multidisc cd's are in their own folders with , disc 1 , disc 2 at the end.

I'm guessing that firstly moving everything to a new directory will put all the tracks from disc 1 and disc 2 in the same folder? Then it'll be easy to rename the individual files from there?

Yeah, I guess I kinda missed this one :huh: :smiley:

If you use an absolute path then the current set of files from the source folder are moved to the target folder.
If you rename a folder then you must have the whole folder structure ready in that respect that you cannot generate any new folders - you can only keep the current number of folders or merge several folders to a lower number.

That is why I cannot answer your question as I do not know if you already have separate folders for multi-disc albums or whether this should be the result after moving the files.
Although you say that the files are in separate folders, the format string that you supplied
I:\MusicNEW\%albumartist%\%album%[$num(%discnumber%,1)-]$num(%track%,2) - %title%
uses the optional discnumber part as part of the filename and not as a folder name.
This one would:
I:\MusicNEW\%albumartist%\%album%[$num(%discnumber%,1)]$num(%track%,2) - %title%

As only one file (I think it is the first one) of a folder is evaluated, it is mandatory that this file has the discnumber set if that is to be used.

Current situation is like this:

I:\AC-DC\Live, Disc 1
I:\AC-DC\Live, Disc 2

I'd like the contents of both the above folders moved to:

I:\MusicNEW\AC-DC\Live

And then rename the files to have the optional discnumer added.

I hope this clarifies it.

I assume that "Live" is the name of the album.
So an action of the type "Format value" (or the Convert>Tag-Tag function) for _DIRECTORY and the
Format string: i:\musicnew\%artist%\%album%
should move all the files from the 2 folders to a single (new) one.

If you already have files with the name "folder.jpg" in the 2 folders, you will be asked if the second file should overwrite the first one.

OK, thanks!

Will I be asked for every double Folder.jpg? That would mean having to click "overwrite" about 150 times I guess...

In that regard I'd better make sure the multidisc albums are handled first...

you could remove the "hidden" and "system" attribute first:
Open a Command shell, enter:
attrib -h -s folder.jpg /s

There's no hidden or system attribute set, just the archive attribute, which to my understanding is normal

I:\10CC\Greatest Hits 1972-1978>attrib Folder.jpg
A I:\10CC\Greatest Hits 1972-1978\Folder.jpg