Rating and mp3tag/MediaMonkey sync problem

Hi Guys, I'm new here so sorry if this question was already answered but I swear I search the whole forum and nothing seems like this.

I've started to rate my mp3 files in Mediamonkey cause it has a 10 grade scale and I need this. A 5 grade scale is just not suitable for me.

Rating the files directly in MediaMonkey and viewing them in Mp3Tag works almost fine, except that songs rated as '1 star' or '5 stars' in MediaMonkey simply doesn't shows any rating at all in Mp3Tag.

Beside this, I can insert the rating direcly in mp3tag so it show it up on MediaMonkey. I imagined that entering the rate direclty in the numeric field and saving the file, then updating the library in MediaMonkey should show the new rate on the MediaMonkey stars but nothing happens. If there was a rate before, it keeps. If there was no rate on the file, it keeps with no rate.

Anyone could help this newbie??

PS.: I posted the same topic on MediaMonkey Forum. Hope it's not a problem.

Check out
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html#MM
as this claims that there are only 5 steps ...
Does MM have a library in the background?
If so: Which fields do get updated in an update?
For instance, iTunes does not read any ratings and stores them solely in the local library but never in the files. So it could well be that this information cannot be modified externally.

PS.: as you can see: I do not use MM.

No. As it claims there are 10 steps ("- for half star").

The example of iTunes is not valid here since the information is being tagged to the files as I can confirm. Openning the files in Mp3Tag I can see the numbers in the field %Rating MM%. It works fine, except when the given rate on MediaMonkey is 1 or 5 whole stars. In that case, nothing appears.

Bringing some new info. Now I know how to see the tag info in Mp3Tag!

Here what's happening:

1. When rating a file with '1 star', the tag shows the field 'POPULARIMETER = no@email|1|0', and nothing is shown in Mp3tag field %Rating MM%
  2. When rating a file with '5 stars', the tag shows the field 'POPULARIMETER = no@email|255|0', and nothing is shown in Mp3tag field %Rating MM%
  3. When rating a file with ratings different from '1 star' or '5 star', the tag do not show the field POPULARIMETER. Instead, it shows the field 'Rating MM' with a number translating the stars tagged in MediaMonkey. Exactly the way it has to be, I think.

Somehow, Mp3Tag is not translating the infos 'no@email|1|0' and 'no@email|255|0' as it should.

Besides this problem, if I insert the rating info I want directly in Mp3tag, it opens the field 'Rating MM' in the tag, and insert the value there. So, the tag keep two fields ('Rating MM' and 'Popularimeter'). This is causing the rating alterations in Mp3tag cannot be seen in the MediaMonkey, cause the info are no longer the same.

So, how can Mp3Tag translate the infos 'no@email|1|0' and 'no@email|255|0' correctly as '1 star' and '5 stars'?
And, how can Mp3Tag modify the Popularimeter info directly by changing the 'Rating MM' field?

Read there ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#ID3v2_rating_tag_issue
/t/11847/1
http://help.mp3tag.de/main_tags.html#POPM
http://forum.gmusicbrowser.org/index.php?t...msg3458#msg3458
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358691
... and search the forum, there might be some more references regarding rating or different schemes for granulating/granulation.

DD.20140508.1124.CEST

Thank you DetlevD.

I comprehend the matter at topic. But I still don't know what to do to show the infos "1" and "5" in the "Rating MM" collumn.

I also inserted a Popularimeter column (%Popularimeter%), and it shows nothing when the "Rating MM" shows correctly, and shows the values "no@email|1|0" and "no@email|255|0" when the "Rating MM" shows nothing.

Is there some way to make the "Rating MM" column translate this values from Popularimeter as I wish?

Hm, I am not so familiar with the rating methods in Mp3tag, but a short test points out, after entering ...
RATING MM <== 5
... Mp3tag has created a POPM frame with "no@email" and value of 252 (xFC).

At the first glance this looks ok to me, ...
maybe there is a failure regarding the decimal values 252 and 255 for category 5 with the MM system?

And keep in mind that "RATING MM" is a user friendly shortcut resp. tag-field replacement by Mp3tag to make it easy to handle the POPULARIMETER Syntax: Email|Rating|Playcounter.

I would not expect that Mp3tag would handle both tag-fields, "RATING MM" and "POPULARIMETER", together in one media file, because Mp3tag translates "RATING MM" into Popularimeter syntax.

DD.20140809.0939.CEST

252?? Well, different from here! Maybe it's a problem with my MediaMonkey version. What's your version?

And, how about filling with one star? Here, the popularimeter decimal is '1'.

Did you read into the links I gave you?

If you want Mp3tag to store a popularimeter frame, e. g. for MM, then you have two choices.
RATING MM <== 5
POPULARIMETER <== no@email|252|0

If you enter both assignments into one media file, then you get two tag-fields of "RATING MM=5".
In this case RATING MM will be automatically treated as a multi-value tag-field.
$meta(RATING MM,0)=5
$meta(RATING MM,1)=5

Because of the confusion with 252/255 you should speak with MM and clarify which number must be used for how many stars.

DD.20140509.1930.CEST

Yes, I read it all. And it was quite valuable.

I just thought could have a way to make Mp3Tag interpret 255 as 5, maybe by changing some definitions inside the program.

Well, anyway, with the 2 collumns I can make what I want. When rating 1 and 5 I use the column %popularimeter%, otherwise, I use %Rating MM%.

Giving up making Mp3Tag read it automatically in just one column.

Thank you for the help.

I have made some more investigations.
I have set up a test case using this action group ...

Begin Action Group Test_2014#20140510.Test.RATING_MM

Action #1
Actiontype 9: Remove fields
Fields to remove (semicolon separated): RATING MM;POPULARIMETER

Action #2
Actiontype 5: Format value
Field ______: RATING MM
Formatstring: '-\\\\-\\\\-\\\\-\\\\**-\\\\-\\0\\0.5\\1\\1.5\\2\\2.5\\3\\3.5\\4\\4.5\\5\\5.5'

Action #3
Actiontype 5: Format value
Field ______: POPULARIMETER
Formatstring: 'no@email|255|0'

End Action Group Test_2014#20140510.Test.RATING_MM (2) (3 Actions)

... and got the following result ...

Action .....: Format value Field ......: RATING MM Formatstring: '-\\\\*\\\\*-\\\\**\\\\**-\\\\***\\\\***-\\\\****\\\\****-\\\\*****\\\\*****-\\\\0\\\\0.5\\\\1\\\\1.5\\\\2\\\\2.5\\\\3\\\\3.5\\\\4\\\\4.5\\\\5\\\\5.5' ============================================================= TAGFIELD_______INPUT_____DISPLAY_________FRAME_POPM_____HEX RATING MM '-' 0.5 no@email|13|0 0D RATING MM '*' 1 no@email|23|0 17 RATING MM '*-' 1.5 no@email|54|0 36 RATING MM '**' 2 no@email|64|0 40 RATING MM '**-' 2.5 no@email|118|0 76 RATING MM '***' 3 no@email|128|0 80 RATING MM '***-' 3.5 no@email|186|0 BA RATING MM '****' 4 no@email|196|0 C4 RATING MM '****-' 4.5 no@email|242|0 F2 RATING MM '*****' 5 no@email|252|0 FC ------------------------------------------------------------- Note: Illegal RATING MM '*****-' Mp3tag changes to POPULARIMETER no@email|255|0 no@email|255|0 FF ------------------------------------------------------------- RATING MM '0' 0 no@email|0|0 00 ------------------------------------------------------------- RATING MM '0.5' 0.5 no@email|13|0 0D RATING MM '1' 1 no@email|23|0 17 RATING MM '1.5' 1.5 no@email|54|0 36 RATING MM '2' 2 no@email|64|0 40 RATING MM '2.5' 2.5 no@email|118|0 76 RATING MM '3' 3 no@email|128|0 80 RATING MM '3.5' 3.5 no@email|186|0 BA RATING MM '4' 4 no@email|196|0 C4 RATING MM '4.5' 4.5 no@email|242|0 F2 RATING MM '5' 5 no@email|252|0 FC ------------------------------------------------------------- Note: Illegal RATING MM '5.5' Mp3tag changes to POPULARIMETER no@email|5|0 no@email|5|0 05 ============================================================= Action .....: Format value Field ......: POPULARIMETER Formatstring: 'no@email|255|0' ===================================================================== TAGFIELD_______INPUT_____________DISPLAY_________FRAME_POPM_____HEX POPULARIMETER 'no@email|255|0' no@email|255|0 no@email|255|0 FF =====================================================================

DD.20140510.1144.CEST