Removed or updated Album Covers are still displayed in VLC and Windows

I have tried removing album covers individually and by selecting more than one file. Even though mp3tag (v3.04a) reports that the album cover has been removed and displays no cover, I find that VLC media player (64 bit, v3.0.11) still finds and will display "deleted" album covers.

I also sometimes want to change album covers but, mp3tag will not change my mp3 file to the new album cover. In this case, even if I try removing the old cover first, the new one is not displayed.

see here:

as long as MP3tag shows the cover that you embedded but other programs don't I do not see an MP3tag bug.

I have already cleared my %appdata%\roaming\vlc\art cache but, the problem persists.

Please read my bug report again. . . Carefully, this time. You will see that you've gotten it exactly backwards. Mp3tag does NOT show the deleted cover art however, other programs (like vlc) DO. Even if I disconnect from the internet, the (same) cover art displays.

Then let me rephrase it
as long as MP3tag shows the cover the way that you treated it in MP3tag (add it, edit it, remove it) but other programs do not show the expected result, then I would look at the other programs and their features.
Also, it could be worthwhile to check the files for integrity with one or more of the linked tools:

You can also send me one of the files via private message or email, if you think the file has cover art and Mp3tag did not remove it.

Make sure you save the files after you remove the artwork, use Ctrl-S or the save icon right after you remove the covers. Otherwise mp3tag assumes you don't want to confirm.

Thanks for the example file. I've analyzed it thoroughly (also by looking with a hex editor) and did not find any cover in the file.

I'd really like to find the root cause of the orphaned covers still being displayed on your system. In your email, you've mentioned that Windows was displaying one of the removed covers. Are you using any third-party apps that install shell extensions for metadata display in Windows Explorer? One of those could be dBpoweramp, another AudioShell.

The covers displayed in Windows are sometimes also taken from hidden files in the file’s directory named Folder.jpg, AlbumArt.jpg, AlbumArtSmall.jpg, or even Thumbs.db. Removing those might help.

One question regarding VLC, because you've mentioned VLC in your initial post: did deleting the cache also remove the cover from being displayed inside VLC or is it still being displayed inside the app?

Thanks for your quick responses to my inquiries, sorry it's been so long for this reply.

Over the past year, I've been able to put in time here and there, exploring some things regarding the extra "phantom" information being displayed.

1- I have found that the hidden jpg (sometimes jpeg) files though small individually, can number to as many as twice the number of mp3 files, taking up lots of space.

2- Another hidden file is "desktop.ini.." This file seems to be written by WMP and is used exclusively by WMP and Groove Music to download and display metadata.

3- Even though these are hidden files, is it possible for Mp3tag to offer options to delete these too?

Oops!

Here's a jpg of the files I refer to.
Delete These

This happens if you have different embedded covers in the files that reside in one folder.

No. This file is created by Windows Explorer if you define that a folder typically contains a certain kind of files. Besides "Music", there are "Videos", "Documents", "Pictures" and "Miscellaneous". If you delete the .ini file then the folder will not show special columns like Title and Artist for audio files.

To get rid of such files, open a command shell window in the top folder.
Enter the following commands, press Enter after each:
del /s /ah albumartsmall_*.jpg
del /s /ah desktop.ini
del /s /ah thumbs.db
del /s /ah folder(?).jpg