Start problem!

I've been using MP3Tag for a long time and I love it very much but starting this morning for no reason I can ascertain I can no longer run it. When I start the program the hourglass icon appears and the HDD is accessed and the MP3tag.exe process is running accourding to the Windows XP task manager but the program itself is nowhere to be found on my desktop!

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no effect. I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2.

Thanks for any help!

That sounds really weird :unsure:

Please try to kill the process via the task manager and remove all temporary files from %temp%\Mp3tag V.2.31 including the folder itself.

HTH,
~ Florian

Thanks very much, Florian, but there does not appear to BE any folder by that name in %temp%. In the directory I have the following files:

~DF5360.tmp
~DF8C5.tmp
Perflib_Perfdata_1290.dat
Perflib_Perfdata_14b0.dat
Perflib_Perfdata_830.dat

and then one subdirectory named:

hsperfdata_Daniel

which contains a single file named:

None of the above files can be deleted. Whenever I try to delete any of them I get an error message "cannot delete - file in use"

Thanks for your help!

Just a side-note: AFAIK, those files are related to the Windows Performance Counter and have nothing to do with MP3Tag.

Perhaps deleting the folder at C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Mp3tag would help? Of course, you would lose your settings, but if they are corrupted they could be causing the crash..

Batterseapower

Yes, maybe that would solve the problem. You can also save your settings by doing a backup of the Mp3tagSettings.zip.

You can also try to delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Moebius\Mp3tag registry key, or doing a uninstall with removing the configuration files and settings.

Best regards,
~ Florian

Thank you both very much. Unfortunately neither removing the MP3Tag folder under Application Data nor that registry key helped my situation here. About the only thing I can think of is that it must be some software incompatibility with some other program running on my system. The only problem with that theory is that since the last time it was working properly I have not installed or uninstalled anything nor have I run any Windows Updates, etc.

This is so bizarre! I tried completely uninstalling the program and removing all registry keys and even the new 2.31b beta version. It's always the same. When I run the program the mouse cursor changes into an hourglass for a few minutes and the process is running according to the task manager but the program never appears.

If you think of anything else I might be able to try I'm willing to try almost anything. In the meantime I'm making do with nothing. I am not switching to another tag editor. I love MP3Tag. :frowning:

I notice there is a file in the settings folder called Mp3tagError.log. Does this have anything interesting in it? If you are willing to try anything at all you could always load up OllyDbg and put a breakpoint on any call to TerminateProcess, then try and step back and determine where it gets called from..

Batterseapower

Thanks very much for the suggestion but not being a programmer and being very code illiterate I'm not sure I understand completely what you mean. I was able to run Ollydbg and in it open the MP3Tag executable and display the breakpoints but I haven't the foggiest notion how to create a breakpoint.

Here are the applicable lines from the log data I think:

Log data
Address    Message
           OllyDbg v1.10
           Bookmarks sample plugin v1.06 (plugin demo)
             Copyright (C) 2001, 2002 Oleh Yuschuk
           Command line plugin v1.10
             Written by Oleh Yuschuk

File 'C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe'
           New process with ID 00001408 created
004E7AAA   Main thread with ID 000016A8 created
00390000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\FDlg.dll
003D0000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\FGdi.dll
00400000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\Mp3tag.exe
             CRC changed, discarding .udd data
005C0000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\FMain.dll
00660000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\FWnd.dll
00690000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\FAudio.dll
10000000   Module C:\Program Files\Mp3tag\FCtrl.dll

I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out. Cheers.

Ah, if you are not familiar with programming it is probably not practical to try and use OllyDbg then.. I think you have there the Olly log file though, I was more interested in the one in the Mp3tag settings folder called Mp3tagError.log..

Batterseapower

Oh, thank you very much for that suggestion about the mp3tagerror.log file. The problem is that I cannot find that settings folder in the MP3Tag directory under /Program Files and this is even weirder: ever since I deleted the MP3Tag folder under the /Application Data folder that folder has not been recreated. I am only assuming that the settings folder you mentioned must be in the latter location.

Is that the case?

Type in "%APPDATA%" in Windows Explorer and look for "Mp3tag" there.

Thank you. Yes, that is the directory I was searching. After following the directions to delete that directory in an attempt to fix the problem it was never recreated. I have reinstalled MP3Tag and I run it and the process starts according to Windows Task Manager but this directory does not exist. :frowning:

Do you have Stardock's IconPackager 3.00a?

MP3Tag program does not show up when started.

Yes, indeed I do. Is this the problem? :frowning:

Hi cdanr!

It seems to be so, a similar problem has been reported in german forum a couple of days ago.
Try to use the version 3.00 of IconPackager instead.

Regards
nickless

Thanks very much. I will try version 3.0 but in the meantime I completely uninstalled IconPackager and still the problem persists.

One other question for anyone who uses Stardock's Object Desktop. I am using the Stardock Central application and I don't see any way to revert to prior versions of apps. You can show beta versions though. Strange. I see the option to auto archive on updates but I wasn't using it. :frowning:

SUCCESS at last!

I wasn't able to revert to a prior version of IconPackager but I visited the Stardock support groups and noticed someone in there having problems with compatibility between IconPackager and Visual Studio recommended unregistering the iprepair.dll.

from the start --> run (or a command prompt) type:
regsvr32 /u iprepair.dll
and all will be good again.

I did this and AT LAST MP3Tag is back again!

Thank you all very much for your help and for pointing me in the right direction with Iconpackager. :smiley:

QUOTE (cdanr @ Jul 14 2005, 23:35)
SUCCESS at last!

I wasn't able to revert to a prior version of IconPackager but I visited the Stardock support groups and noticed someone in there having problems with compatibility between IconPackager and Visual Studio recommended unregistering the iprepair.dll.

from the start --> run (or a command prompt) type:
regsvr32 /u iprepair.dll
and all will be good again.

I did this and AT LAST MP3Tag is back again!

Thank you all very much for your help and for pointing me in the right direction with Iconpackager. :smiley:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did have the 3.00 version archived, but reverting to it didn't seem to fix the problem. I even uninstalled it first. Maybe it doesn't remove the iprepair.dll (or at least didn't in my case.) Unregistering the iprepair.dll did it for me too! Thanks for the tip! :slight_smile: As for restoring previous versions from Stardock Central... If you don't have auto archive turned on, you can still manually archive your apps. Select "Archive Application" from either the File Menu or by right clicking on an app. To restore an archive, select "Restore" from either of the same two locations. I try to keep my apps archived in case of a problem with them crashing, etc. so I can revert. Supposedly you can archive an app on one machine and restore it on another with a copy of Stardock on it. I don't know whether it has to have the same license number though. I am going to try to back down to 3.00 on my home machine also to fix the incompatability with MP3Tag and see if it works there. <_<