User-defined tool for Cover Lookup

I use this tool to quickly look for album art on this site which (in my experience) yields the best overall results and has better performance than AlbumArtDownloader for example.

This is the latest version (2023/09/27).

Name: Cover Lookup
Path: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

If your default providers do not yield results and you suspect one of the providers which you usually do not use might, here are 3 more versions of the tool which encompass the 31 total providers.
By calling them one after the other (crtl+2, ctrl+3, ctrl+4 for example) you will get 3 new tabs, each showing 12, 12 and 7 providers. I wouldn't overuse it tho as there's probably a reason for the site to limit the providers to 12 per call.

3 more versions containing all providers

Name: Cover Lookup Amazon-Gaana
Path: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Name: Cover Lookup Gracenote-Qobuz
Path: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

Name: Cover Lookup RecoChoku-VGMdb
Path: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

You can use different browsers instead of firefox in the "Path" section.

&country=de can also be replaced with the ISO code of the country you want to see results from.

The currently available countries are:
Australia = au, Canada = ca, China = cn, France = fr, Germany = de, India = in, Italy = it, Japan = jp, Korea = kr, Spain = es, Taiwan = tw, United Kingdom = gb, United States = us

You can also add &resolution=[size] if you only want to see images equal to or greater than that size.

Updated update:
A while ago the site updated and now only allows 12 active sources at the same time.
You'll have to select which sources suit your collection best.

The currently available sources are:
amazon amazonmusic applemusic bandcamp beatport booth bugs deezer discogs fanarttv flo gaana gracenote itunes kkbox kugou lastfm linemusic melon metalarchives musicbrainz netease ototoy qobuz recochoku soulseek soundcloud spotify thwiki tidal vgmdb

You can add up to 12 of these separated by , in &sources=.
The order of sources defines in which order they are displayed on the site.

Example: If you want to see the discogs result first, put it in first place in the &sources= list.
Not all sources work for all countries.

I've set it as my first tool so I can press strg/ctrl+1 after selecting a track to search for art easily and quickly. Maybe someone else will find this useful as well.

Update history

Edit: I just did some further testing and this only works well for artists and albums which don't contain reserved characters like '&' (which has to be replaced with %26 for it to work). Is there an easy way to encode %artist% and %album% to be compatible with URLs?

Edit2: Tested reserved characters and added those which broke the links in 2 replace functions. If you find a character I have missed that breaks the URL, let me know so I can edit the parameters.

Edit3: As suggested by Florian I've adjusted the post to be more of a tutorial and less of a question as to where to post the tutorial.

Edit4: Updated the tool to a current version limited to 14 active sources and also updated the list of available sources and countries with respective ISO codes.

Edit5: They once again decreased the amount of active sources, to 12 this time. I've updated my default version again and also added a workaround to still get results from more sources when needed.


Thanks for your "Cover Lookup Tool" definition, @Casual_Tea

There is no function like $urlencode for Mp3tag yet.
You need to expand your
manually to
$replace(%artist%,'&','%26', ,%20,#,%23,$,%24)
and so on for all the characters you want to be "translated".

$replace supports multiple parameter pairs y and z.

I realized that and tested the reserved characters against the site. Those which were not recognised out of the box I replaced in 2 $replace functions. It's not elegant but it works. I'll edit my post to include my current version.

Update: Tested the current version against 200 albums by different artists and so far all have worked.

1 Like

I've updated the tool to my current version, included newly added sources in a complete list, pointed out the restriction of 14 active sources and also added all currently available country codes.

I had planned to also add an alternate version of the tool which uses the "COV Integration Tool" instead of calling the browser directly which allowed to save covers into the source folder with 1 click and had advanced functionality.

However the tool stopped working for me a while ago, so I won't include it until I figure out how to get it working again.

I've updated the tool once more as they've reduced the number of providers to 12.
Additionally I've included 3 more versions which allow looking up all possible providers in case the default providers yield nothing.
They have also updated their covit.exe tool which can be directly integrated in mp3tag.

You can find out how in their "integrations" tab on the main site.
I've run the new version through VirusTotal and while it's probably clean, I'll still use the classic web version just to be on the safe side.
Here are the VirusTotal results.