WAV files cannot be editted

Hello - I've downloaded a lot of WAV files from qobuz, MP3TAG can't open the files for editing, can anyone help?
thanks Peter

I would check downloaded files with problems first of all for integrity.
Load them into any wav-file-capable audio editor and see if they work.
And then I would still save them again and see if editing works better now.

I've already played these files through my Naim music player, MP3TAG opens them but you can only see the filename, nothing else. There are about 40 files in the folder, if I broke them down into smaller folders would that help? Or I could read them into audacity if that would help
thanks Peter

Yes check if that leads to a better file.
Fewer files in a folder is not necessary.

Yes reading into Audacity then exporting a wav produces a file that MP3TAG can read and edit. Unfortunately my naim player doesn't like the output from MP3TAG, the original version gives more information.
Thanks anyway

Necro-posting but...

I've just encountered an un-writable file, and found a second oddity about it.

Mp3tag, as above, refuses to alter the meta-data. All permissions are set so anyone can read, write, etc.

I created the file by ripping a Youtube video of "ambient noise to study by" - four hours of it. I've worked on any number of other mp4 -> wav conversions without a problem. I passed the .wav through Audacity, normalized the audio, and exported it as a .wav. The exported file also can't be altered. Stranger, the meta-data that Audacity showed, and which I successfully altered, doesn't show up in Mp3tag. I have zero ideas about what's happening here, but it seems that something maybe broken.

Keep in mind 1) this a 4 Gb file, and 2) creating a fresh file with Audacity propagates the problem.

Do you get an error message or does it simply take a long time?
I mean: writing 4GB does take some time.
And then consider this:
The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GiB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header.
And: what kind of filesystem do you address? Just the ordinary NTFS or something on a NAS or something?

I wasn't aware .wav had a specific file size limit. Anyway, Audacity isn't troubled to read, and normalize, an over-sized .wav file. Weird.

The files were stripped out of .mp4 files. The idea is to use a lossless format. What's an alternative format that's lossless and can be bigger than 4Gb?

There is an explicit error message "file cannot be opened for writing", not just Mp3tag taking a lot of time to process the file. That said, it's clear that files in excess 3.99 Gb simply won't work. End of mystery.

There is also recording software that doesn't record wave-files larger than 2 GB.

You can use FLAC as lossless format.
You should be aware that mp4 is a container format that can contain different audio-formats. One of them is lossless. So maybe your source is not lossless.

Given the sizes of the source files, I suspect they're lossless. Maybe not. [/ shrug]

I'll grab them again, and throw them at Mediainfo. That should give some Idea of what's what.

MediaInfo says all are AAC LC audio tracks.

This is a lossy format.
Wikipedia - Advanced Audio Coding

... which would then mean that there is not much point to convert it to a loss-less (and uncompressed) format as you would not improve the quality, right?

I wasn't aware that AAC is lossy. I'll hunt around to investigate how acoustically obvious the compression is. Meanwhile, having read the Wikipedia piece, a) forget MP3 (AAC is the successor standard), b) using WAV gives no benefit.

And that's the name of that tune.

You can use ALAC, this is the lossless version using the AAC m4a container. It is primarily used by Apple/iTunes but more recently is more widely playable in many other players including Windows, Linux, Android, etc.

It is similar to FLAC in that it is a lossless compression format, yielding file sizes around the same ratios versus WAV. Sonic differences are debatable, but depending on your needs for compatibility (IOS devices or iTunes?) this may be the option you could consider.

In the instance of ripping my CD's, I'm just anal enough to stick with WAV. OK, a) my hearing isn't that great, b) most of my playback gear and environment overwhelm any benefit, and c) who knows how good the source material is to begin with. But I feel warmer and fuzzier with WAV. Awwwwww...

Since the video audio is already sullied with the evils of AAC, sweating about any possible loss is rather pointless. [/ big wink]

There is, however, the very real point about picking a format that's recognized by whatever will be using the files. Giving FLAC to a device or app that hasn't a clue about FLAC is ...um... counterproductive.

In any event... the initial complaint arose from essentially pushing WAV files to do something they can't do. Given the source was encoded to AAC, and given AAC is step forward from MP3, ripping to AAC makes the most sense. If the destination device or app can use AAC.

Not quite right. If for some reason (player software or hardware, general compatibility for many users) another format than the source-format is needed, a transformation to a lossless format with the needed characterizations would at least not create a destination file with more loss of quality.

1 Like

This fades off into determining the actual amount of "damage" done by each iteration of AAC, MPx, etc. Lapsing into the debates of digital versus analog recording and playback isn't far away at that point.

For the purposes of ripping from video to final audio product, what matters most is the size of the resulting file. Video audio to WAV fails in the event the file reaches or exceeds 4 Gb. There's no gain for going from AAC to FLAC, OGG, etc.

Mp3tag, the point of focus here, fails with WAV files of 4 Gb or greater.

Past that, we're counting how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. :smile: