Web Source Framework Discussion

VERY nice innovation ! And works for me :slight_smile: Just hope that the guys at AMG et al. won't find it to be some violation of some kind...

Aren't AMG and artistdirect files supposed to be installed by 2.28b ? At least that's what this seems to intend.

Also, a quick way to get to the folder :

Win+R, then type

:slight_smile:

MLL

First of all mp3tag is the best mp3 tag software (compared to other commercial taggers) I've ever used. Now that it can get data from other web sources (including allmusic.com) just made it even better. I use wmp to rip my cd's and wmp uses allmusic data tags. Thanks Florian and various developers for making this great program.

I'm using amg.src, but it doesn't get all the data that is provided by the site. For example the composer field, publisher etc. Will these be added in the later versions or no.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the nice feedback!

Since this web source definition file is not my own work, we have to see what the author is planning :slight_smile:

First of all, I have to thank Florian for finally making a wonderful tagger (for free no less) that lets you customize web sources like this. The only other tagger with this kind of functionality is The GodFather, but their scripting is much more complex. I've spent a couple of hours on the following scripts, so I hope you find them useful:

Artist Direct

The above artistdirect.src wasn't grabbing track names correctly for me, so here's a (hopefully) fixed version.

Musicbrainz

FINALLY! An alternative to the Musicbrainz Tagger! I do belive this addon will make Mp3tag the first tagger to support Musicbrainz lookups. I think Musicbrainz has the most accurate database out there (even better than AMG), and I've been dying for Musicbrainz support (from anyone) since I first discovered it. It may not work perfectly yet, but this script should be a good start.

Possible Problems

1. This script searches by album name. If the album name is unique, Musicbrainz takes you directly to the album page (w/track listings) instead of letting you select that album. This causes Mp3tag to report an error. Am I missing something? Is there a way to jump to the [ParserScriptAlbum] section if this happens?

2. Right now, the year that is grabbed is the first one listed at the bottom of the page. If there happen to be multiple releases (say in different countries), then it could grab the wrong year. I haven't found an occurrence of this yet though.

3. Musicbrainz doesn't list any genre info, so you'll have to enter that in manually.

Suggested Improvements for Mp3tag

Web Sources
-) In the scripting, it'd be nice if there was a generic whitespace character (like regex), so instead of matching exactly "tabtabtab

", you could match "\s" instead.
-) It might be nice to rearrange the [IndexFormat] headers (in the GUI), so maybe you could have a [IndexFormatDisplay] variable that could be set to say "%artist%|%album%" (no %_url% needed since it's not in the GUI).
-) Mp3tag should automatically replace all special characters (like &, &#[ASCII number];, etc.) in artist/album/track names before displaying them to the user. I don't know if this already happens before tagging or not, but it should happen before they're listed in the dialogs ("Adjust tag-information", etc.).
-) In the "Adjust tag-information" dialog, you can edit the info downloaded from a web source (say a track name), but it'd be nice to have either a text field or additional dialog that could let you edit the artist, album, year, and genre for all the tracks, instead of having to do that on a track-by-track basis.
-) When a user clicks OK on the "Adjust tag-information" dialog, it might instead be helpful to present the user with a Before and After view, kind of like MP3/Tag Studio's preview feature. I know Mp3tag has a "preview" feature for file renaming, but instead of a text file, it should be a separate window, and it should be used to preview tagging too (again, see how MP3/Tag Studio does it). Also, you could have 4 checkboxes in that window: "Rename Files", "Rename Directory" (see below), "Save Cover Art" and "Create Playlist".

General
-) There should be a feature to rename the current directory according to a certain format (say "%artist% - %year% - %album%").
-) Question: when a playlist is created (via "File->Playlist (all files)"), does it sort the files by track # first?

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions in the coming days, but that's all for now.

Thanks again for the excellent program!

-Will

artistdirect.src (2.21 KB)

musicbrainz.src (2.55 KB)

Will,

first of all, thank you very much for the new web sources and your long feedback! Your support is very much appreciated! I'm very busy at the moment with university, so I may not have much time...

One quick question: can you tell me an album where the current artistdirect web source fails. I'm just curious, because no user has reported any issues till now.

Thanks!

Best regards,
~ Florian

It didn't work for me on "3 Doors Down - Seventeen Days" (when searching for "Seventeen Days"). It'll find the album, but on the track listings dialog, it says "" in the first track field. The original script works on all of my other albums so far, so I don't know why that specific album would give it problems.

Will

Kudos for the MusicBrainz plugin ! :slight_smile:

EDIT: apparently, they make it possible to make third-party client plugins. That would be cleaner I guess. Any chance to be something like it anytime ?

Calculating the TRM identifier requires internal decoding to WAV, so a decoder for every file format supported would be necessary. This is currently a little bit too much work.

is it possible to get more information from discogs.com? not only artist, album, year, genre, title & track number.

if yes, then how?

thanks in advance.

EDIT: and you can't save cover. it's not showing.

I don't know which additional information you're looking for. Can you give an example for information available at the discogs.com website?

You can. But only if the album page on discogs.com shows a cover.

i am looking for label & catalog number :slight_smile:

it is there. and when i press Preview i can see it on the page opened in browser. but when i choose the album & press OK, i see only track information, cover is blank & the button to save it is grey. tested with the following release: http://www.discogs.com/release/3193.

thanks for quick response & sorry for bugging.

Yes, it's possible by modifying the web source description file. Maybe I'll make an extended version of discogs.src.

I think you're using an old version of the web source. Please get the latest one from here.

Best regards,
~ Florian

cool, thanks.

done that - no luck. cover is blank, button is grey.

i'm under proxy, but as long as everything else works properly, i don't think that it's the issue.

That's the problem - I forgot to use the proxy for getting the cover art. I'll fix it to the next release.

Thanks for your feedback!

~ Florian

You are very welcome & thank you very much for your help!

hi weakling child,
i'm still new to this web source framework thing, but i tried to add your requested label and catalog no.
I'm not too sure, whether my extension is going to work with all labels and catalog numbers on discogs, but at least it worked for your tobin amon and some more tests i run. (i think)
please try it, i'm going to attach my .src file to this post. And if it doesnt work they way it should, please tell me, i will try to fix it (somehow). :slight_smile:

best regards
yo.

ps: to find the destination folder easily, just press windows key+r and paste the following line: %appdata%\mp3tag\data\sources

discogs.src (2.52 KB)

wow, thanks hunger01! i appreciate this very much!

tested a little - works properly.

may i ask you for one more thing? as far as i can see, you add label & catalog information to the manually created tags - "LABEL" & "CATALOG NO". can you change it, so that label will be put in the "PUBLISHER" tag & catalog number in the "COMMENT" tag?

please don't bother - done it myself. Mp3tag rocks! :slight_smile:

hehe yeah it rocks!
thanks to florian! :slight_smile:
best regards
yo.

tried to get info from discogs.com for the http://www.discogs.com/release/11065 release & found the following issue:

1st track is called "Musik FΓΌr Cats". it turned out that Mp3tag read info only before that "ΓΌ" symbol & stopped after that. it hadn't read info for next tracks & the "r Cats" that was left from the original title.

please consider.

EDIT: another release with the same issue - http://www.discogs.com/release/186503.

reads only before "ΓΎ" symbol.