When I tag mp3 files, Windows Media Player stops working

I have downloaded some mp3 files from youtube. I can play them with Windows Media Player. These files don't have a Title or Artist. I cannot add those in File Explorer, those fields are not editable. I can tag them with MP3TAG. However, when I do that I can not play them with windows media player, I get an error message "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file." When I look in File Explorer, the title and artist file are still empty. If I remove the tagged fields in MP3TAG, Windows Media Player works again.

Any suggestions?

a) use the suggested tools to check your files for integrity.
b) see here:

There is no download option from YouTube. I believe you have likely used a 3rd party online converter tool. This is the source of the problem for this and several other recently reported issues. See the link posted above for more info.

I am using the tool YouTube to MP3 Converter: YouTube to Mp3 Converter It used to work fine, but not any more. any suggestion of tools to use?

1. If you are in windows, and you would like a very light genuine converter then download Click2Music 2.0 from
    Download Click2Music 2.0
  2. Convert to Cascading Menu DisableAndEnable.zip (1.6 KB)
    Then import these two reg files into windows registry, then right click to any video file and click convert to mp3 from right click menu.

Or you can add
sfrom.net
at the beginning of a video URL address bar, and select to download the video as m4a audio, but it has no mp3 option to download it as mp3.

I found Free YouTube to Mp3 Tool - Motionbox and it works fine. so my issue is solved.
thanks

Which, BTW, had nothing to do with MP3tag.