Why was "Shorten filenames to 64 characters" removed?

Mp3tag Development Build Status
CHG: removed action type 'Shorten filenames to 64 characters'.

Florian, I'd be interested to know why this was removed. Did it become unsafe somehow?

howdy chrisjj,

i think it was in response to this thread ...
/t/11716/1

take care,
lee

Thanks. I see there a report of a bug, a suggestion the feature be removed (but no good reason) and a statement the feature was removed.

Which is disappointing - that can break scripts that were working fine.

Note, we speak about a temporary developer release.

'chrisjj' are you an opportunist?
Is it really breaking one of your actiongroups?

Please explain what the action "Shorten filenames to 64 characters" can do, could do, with more intelligence than the function $left(%_filename_ext%,64) can do it also.
Why should Mp3tag provide an action dialog, for just a trivial thing like creating a substring of fixed length?

As it turned out, the function is somewhat buggy and outdated.
There were no complains over many many years of existence of this action module!
This obvious behaviour of Mp3tag users is a clear indicator, that this action was either never understood or never been used in practice.

DD.20110501.1615.CEST

howdy chrisjj,

it seems from other mentions of the function that it sometimes did very odd things. unpredictable odd things. i suspect unpredictable was the reason for dropping it.

as DetlevD mentioned, you can use the non-dev version for the time being. you can also attempt to talk Florian into leaving it in the system. that last seems rather doubtful, but he DOES listen.

another option is to lay out a few of the file names with before and after examples and ask for help defining a function to get what you need in your situation. that sound like your best bet.

take care,
lee

I thought this feature removal was proposed for production release. Please do tell me if I am wrong.

No, because I am not using that version.

I don't know or care. It is irrelevant.

Because that is a defined part of the program's behaviour - just see the Help.

Buggy code should be fixed or deprecated.

Or was never problematic for most users.

I hope so, I cannot find a reference to this deprecated action in the current manual.

Because you are not affected by the removement of a senseless action, why do you complain?

Deprecated software should be removed, that was my intention.
Please study the reference of the Joliet File System, there is no consequently pure 64 character filename limit, isn't it so?

DD.20110504.0514.CEST

Because you are not affected by the removement of a senseless action

If it were senseless, it would not be present.

Deprecated software should be removed, that was my intention.

Deprecated function should be marked such NOT be just removed, since existing scripts will could ref to them.

Please study the reference of the Joliet File System, there is no
consequently pure 64 character filename limit, isn't it so?

I don;t care about Joliet. I have used this function regardless of Joliet.

Because you are not able to say predictable how this function has been worked, the possibly needed workaround is trivial:
$left(%_filename_ext%,64)
... or should it be ...
$left(%_filename%,64)

DD.20110507.0450.CEST
Edit. Spelling mistake corrected.
DD.20110607.1710.CEST

That is little consolation to a user whose scripts are silently broken by this update. It may be much work before he finds he even needs to workaround in the script.

I am sure, when releasing the next official full version of Mp3tag, Florian Heidenreich will give a note in the manual and a recommendation how to use an action 'Format Value' likewise as the removed action module.

And for the unbelievable case, when the this action module will not be removed, because you have claimed it to need it for your life, I can live with that like before:
I do not use it, because I do know, that it does not help, and I do not know, how it works.

DD.20110507.0743.CEST

I am sure, when releasing the next official full version of Mp3tag, Florian
Heidenreich will give a note in the manual

I really hope he'll do better than that. Such a breakage to script compatibility needs the app to deal with old-version scripts.

you have claimed it to need it for your life

You are mistaken, Detlev. But what I do need for my life isto be able to trust that Mp3tag upgrades do not silently break scripts.

2.49 is out, and "Shorten filenames" is gone.

This does break one of my scripts, but I'll replace it with DetlevD's suggestion and get over it.

OK, I must be an idiot, 'cause I can't get this to work. Is this not right?

[removed picture with wrong action]

'Cause it doesn't seem to be doing what the old "Shorten..." action used to do. Indeed, it doesn't seem to do anything.

OOI, how do you know it breaks only one? E.g. does it give a warning when the function reference is encountered?

Ah, I see the error I had been making. DetlevD mistyped %left instead of $left in his earlier post, and I had been simply copy and pasting it all along. Once I saw yours, the typo was obvious. Thanks!

I should probably say "Action Groups" rather than scripts -- I know it breaks only one because I used it in only one. And the action simply disappeared, so no warning or error was generated; it just didn't happen because it was no longer there.

Then you don't know it breaks only one. You know only that it breaks at least one.

Very poor, Florian. It should at least alert the user.

I try to apply the replacements options for removed function, but I not obtain positives results

Please, somebody can explain with details like replace "Shorten filenames to 64 characters" for another option, for me was an useful option, very pity the the decision to remove. :frowning: