[X] Can't copy some unusual TRACK tags from MP3 / FLAC to WMA

Till recently, I was using only MP3's and FLACs; with tags in ID3v2.3 UTF-16. And I was using tag fields not in a "standard" way, with a bunch of signs different than just letters and numbers, but had not problems with them whatsoever

But now it seems I have found a bug

If the value in the TRACK tag field starts with a dot sign

.I simply cannot copy such value to a WMA format. But if that dot was behind I number, then there would be no problem. Also if I have a letter or letters in the TRACK field, such value cannot be copy. But if letters are following a number, then there is no such problem

So the bug is: it can be copied, but to MP3 and FLAC; but such an attempt on a WMA file will spit out an error saying, that it cannot be opened for writing

[I haven't tested all the fields with all the signs that I'm using- so maybe there are more cases like that?]

REQUEST: Tag Panel new Size Of Field - micro
Mapping of tag fields - is it really needed at all?
[X] .wav cannot be opened for writing replicable bug
Add missing ID3 styles (genres) types support

Why should it be a bug if you try to use tag-fields against their official definition:

"TRCK
The 'Track number/Position in set' frame is a numeric string containing the order number of the audio-file on its original recording. This may be extended with a "/" character and a numeric string containing the total numer of tracks/elements on the original recording. E.g. "4/9"."

There is nothing mentioned of dots and letters.

So why does MP3 and FLAC have no issues with it and WMA does? Why are those two treated better [at least in MP3tag], in a more universal way?

Why should I limit myself to what a value should be, in terms of meaning / characters? With that logic I should not put in the TITLE tag all those non-letter signs used on this album tracklist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reanimation#Track_listing. And by extending that logic, I should only put one predefined genre in GENRE tag, and not my own [sometimes multiple] descriptions [number codes meaning various activities like running or falling asleep]. WHY?

This is not a bug, but the result of an Mp3tag feature.

WMA files use ASF (Advanced Systems Format) tags.
see here:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...v=vs.85%29.aspx
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi...v=vs.85%29.aspx

My understanding is this:

ASF tags support both Track and TrackNumber.
Track is 0-based and included for legacy reasons. (ie back-wards support)
TrackNumber is 1-based.
Mp3tag writes both.

You may ask, "How does Mp3tag write those tags?"

Only the developer knows for sure, but my observations suggest this:
Whatever number is entered by the user becomes TrackNumber.
Track is calculated by substracting 1 from the integer portion (the part before the decimal) of TrackNumber.

This means that you may only enter any decimal number greater than greater than or equal to 1. [EDIT]
Anything else will cause the warning you have seen.
This allows the feature of writing both Track and TrackNumber.

For example:
If you enter 1, then TrackNumber = 1 and Track = 0
If you enter 1.12345, then TrackNumber = 1.12345 and Track = 0
If you enter 1.9, then TrackNumber = 1.9 and Track = 0
If you enter +1.9, then TrackNumber = +1.9 and Track = 0
If you enter +300.9, then TrackNumber = +300.9 and Track = 299

You mean developer of Mp3tag: Florian?

Or developers of WMA container format?

I took a shoot at another format [because I'm looking for another lossless format to use aside from FLAC]: WavPack

WV files seem to behave the same as MP3s and FLACs. There is no problem with unusual data that I use in the TRACK field. And I've also tested to same extend other fields in that format, with different signs

But the TRACK field WVA bug question remains: should or shouldn't it behave the same as MP3 / FLAC / WV in Mp3tag?

APE files problem

This is not a bug. This is merely behaviour you don't like.
Mp3tag should continue to maintain back-wards compatibility by writing both TRACK and TRACKNUMBER for WMA files.

Presumably Mp3tag does nothing else than the function $num() to verify and to get clean values for the tracknumber from user input.
At last the target filetype decides which datatype can be accepted.
Note: a dot character is not a number.

The Windows Media Format 11 SDK defines ...
WM/Track g_wszWMTrack WMT_TYPE_STRING
WM/TrackNumber g_wszWMTrackNumber WMT_TYPE_STRING
... and therefore it seems to be allowed, to store non numerical values into a WMA tag.

DD.20160306.1807.CET

Does this mean some other tag software will also have the same "problem" with WMA?

I'm not planning to switch, WavPacks in Mp3tag seem to work the way I need; I'm just curious

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.