Add the TITLE to FILENAME

hello again i have this problem

i have a compilation of foreign tracks and i have in the filename only the title not the artist
but inside the tags it appears (at the artist name) how can i put first the artist and then the title in the filename?

Use the converter "Tag filename" with a mask like this:
%artist% - %title%

The preview function of that converter will let you check if you get the right result.

The hyphen between artist and title is optional (actually I prefer the underscore _ to separate fields as the underscore is hardly ever used in normal writing)

If you have artists without "the" in the name, you could add this in the mask:

The %artist% _ %title%

An number of people also like to have the track number in the filename. As some filesystems sort
1, 10, 11, 12 ... 2, 20, 21 ...
it may be a good idea to include leading noughts. Add
$num(%track%,3) to get a "001" as track number.

Another thing:
As usually articles like "the" or "a" do not distinguish, many programs (like itunes) allow to ignore them. Also it is rather tricky to keep a library tidy if you do not remember if you usually use an article or not. In mamy cases one ends up with two folders: one with and one without article.

ok thanks for the help!
another thing i'm from greece and i am changing the latin charachters to our own greek like this

sakis rouvas to ΣΑΚΗΣ ΡΟΥΒΑΣ

i have programed to change the charachters but it changing and the conclusion .mp3 to .ΜΠ3 and then i can't play it because the pc does not recognizes it how can i avoid it or change it?

Do you see such ".ΜΠ3" files in Mp3tag list view?

DD.20100915.2203.CEST

i didn't understand.....

Above you have mentioned that "the pc does not recognize" files with an file extension of ".ΜΠ3".
I assume that the PC respectively the file system is able do recognize such files, if not so, then there would be no such files on the disk!
But such files are not able to be played or tagged (?) by other related applications, so you have said.
To make it sure where the situation stands I have asked you, if you do see such ".ΜΠ3" files within the Mp3tag application's list view - or not.
Depending on your answer there might be some different ways to guide you to rename the files to get back their proper ".mp3" file extension.

Πάνω από εσάς ανέφεραν ότι «το pc δεν αναγνωρίζει" τα αρχεία με ένα αρχείο επέκταση ". ΜΠ3».
Υποθέτω ότι το PC αντίστοιχα το σύστημα αρχείων είναι σε θέση αναγνωρίζουν τα εν λόγω αρχεία, αν δεν συμβαίνει, τότε δεν θα υπήρχε τέτοια αρχεία στο δίσκο!
Αλλά αυτά τα αρχεία δεν είναι σε θέση να παίξει ή να τοποθετείται πινακίδα (:wink: από άλλες σχετικές εφαρμογές, έτσι έχετε πει.
Για να είναι σίγουροι ότι, όταν η κατάσταση έχει σας έχω ζητήσει, αν το κάνετε δείτε αυτήν ». ΜΠ3" αρχεία μέσα προβολή λίστας της εφαρμογής Mp3tag - ή όχι.
Ανάλογα με την απάντησή σας θα μπορούσε να υπάρχει κάποια διαφορετικοί τρόποι για να σας οδηγήσει να μετονομάσετε τα αρχεία για να πάρει πίσω την ορθή »τους. Mp3" επέκταση αρχείου.

DD.201009215.2222.CEST

first of all thanks for the translation
but my question was if i can avoid it
for example
SAKIS ROUVAS - SHAKE IT (is the filename)
when i put it in to mpe tag shows and the extention
SAKIS ROUVAS - SHAKE IT.mp3
if i do the change goes like this
ΣΑΚΗΣ ΡΟΥΒΑΣ - ΣΗΑΚΙ ΗΤ.ΜΠ3
then i try to change it like this : from the menu i select actions and then i change it from .μπ3 to .mp3 but nothing it doesn't change

Please describe what you mean, respectively what you really do with Mp3tag when you use the term "change" in your post above.
There are so many ways to change something with the help of Mp3tag, so I am not able to guess what has really happened and how.
It is rather uncommon to get the file extension renamed.

DD.20100915.1302.CEST

look this

Oh, what a nice small picture, where is the magnifying glass?
I see a detail of Mp3tag 2.46a file list view showing a filename with correct ".mp3" extension.
I can not see what you want to show me. What is the image telling me?

DD.20100915.2330.CEST

i can only upload 200 kb soory what can i do....

look and this

Give it up! Good night.

DD.20100915.2345.CEST

how did you did that????????????????????

Don't upload bmp, convert it first to JPG or PNG with an image tool like IrfanView.

Or use a screenshot tool like http://sourceforge.net/projects/greenshot/ to make screenshots.

How did YOU do the renaming of your mp3 file?
The screenshots do not tell so much about the ACTION, which you use to rename the filename.
You are using an action, assumingly, don't you?
It looks like you are using an action, because one of your screenshots, file "________.bmp", shows a menu from where you execute some predefined action script, so that the filename, including the file extension, will be set to all uppercase, as shown in screenshot file "__________.bmp".
Now let us see the type name of the action and the parameters of this action, respectively of all actions from the entire envolved action group, which stands behind the name from the selected menu item.

DD.20100916.0653.CEST

hi in the action menu i have programed to replace all latin charachters to greek one by one

for example
m to ν
e to ε
s to σ
w to ω
r to ρ
t to τ
d to δ
b to β

and that changes and the extension....

dj 8adam-e!, your screenshot shows not all of the involved actions, and sadly to say, I am not very experienced in reading greek language. When ever possible for you, please try to communicate in english language and offer Mp3tag screenshot in english skin too.

The partly shown list of actions have simple "Replace" actions.

The first action is a modified "Replace (only as whole word)".
Did you ever check the result of this action?
I think this action will do nothing.

Assumingly there is a file in the filesystem having this filename "This is my filename.MΠ3", then Mp3tag will not respect this file, because of the bad file extension. Although the file data might be internally of type MP3, other player applications might not accept such a filename, Mp3tag simply does not show such a badly named file in it's file list view.
Therefore this first action is needless.

The replace modifier "only as whole word" is needless too, because a "whole word" is defined as a sequence of non space letters which are delimited by at least one space character or the word is the first or last word in a line of words.
Having a string of ".MΠ3" this looks not to be a "whole word".
Same in the string "This is my filename.MΠ3" the substring ".MΠ3" will not be a "whole word".

And even better, looking at the complete filebasename (filerootname.fileextension) the dot character seems to be handled in different ways by Mp3tag.
Having the filename "This.is my filename.mp3" the "Replace" action can replace "is.is" with "is is", but not "e.mp3" with "e.mp4".

Nevertheless "Replace" action is able to replace "mp3" with "mp4", giving the filename "This.is my filename.mp4"

Having the filename "This.is.my.filename.mp3" the "Replace" action can replace "." with "" (i. e. nothing, that means remove all dots), which results into the filebasename "Thisismyfilename.mp3".
You see that Mp3tag has saved the fileextension.

Mp3tag respects the dot in different ways. The right most dot is treated as the delimiter between the filerootname and the fileextension. All other dots at the left side of this one name delimiter dot are treated as simple characters of the filerootname (and can be object of the replace action).

The bad side effect of the "Replace" action when working on the pseudo tag-field "_FILENAME" is the case as mentioned above, that the given file extension can be changed accidentally.
Having a filename "jump3money.mp3" which should be named to "jump4money.mp3" will be
changed to "jump4money.mp4" when using "Replace" action and replace "mp3" with "mp4".

I tend to mark this as a bug of the "Replace" action when working on pseudo tag-field "_FILENAME".
At least there is a trap for the user to accidentally change the fileextension to make the file unusable. This behaviour should be revised.

The third action from your list of "Replace" actions is needless (from ".mp3" to ".mp3").
All other shown actions from the screenshot are looking fine.

Conclusion.
Such a filename "This is my filename.MΠ3" needs to be renamed from outside of Mp3tag by a specific file renamer tool (e. g. command REN on the commandline, Windows Explorer, Total Commander or other tools).

Try the attached cmd file, it might be possible, that it can rename the "*.MΠ3" files - no guarantee at all. First remove the ".txt" extension. Copy the cmd file into the root folder of the foldertree which contains the *.MΠ3 files and run it.
Rename_M__3_to_mp3.cmd.txt (241 Bytes)

DD.20100917.1334.CEST

Rename_M__3_to_mp3.cmd.txt (241 Bytes)

[X] Ersetzen mit Regulärem Ausdruck in _FILENAME