Cannot add tag info into large wav files

Hi fellas,

I have a wav file which is 5.16GB large. I dragged this file into Mp3Tag and I coudln't add tag info to the file, the software popped up an error message. I figured that it was because the file was so large. Any help with this??

Have you done this already?

Yes and my file is intact and has no errors. I cut the file in half by Adobe Audition and Mp3Tag allowed me to write tag info in the smaller files. It just cannot handle files larger than what, 5GB or so? Do you need my file to have a check?

Perhaps we can save transmission bandwidth.
If you load the original file into audition and save a copy of it and then try to tag that copy ... what happens then?

I did this and the cpoy file was 4.91GB. And Mp3Tag still did not work on this file size. I think the dev team should work on this. I can imagine that few people have ever encountered such large audio files, let alone to tag them.

Yes, I am out now.
Here was a report on 2GB files:

@Florian

Hi Florian, can you please provide a fix on this?

According to Wikipedia, the maximum size of wav files is less than 4GB:

" The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GiB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header"

So I doubt that really a fix wlll be feasible.

Well it seems that the Wiki page needs to be updated. With any editing software and recording devices the WAV file size can be as large as possible nowadays. I got my WAV file from capturing audio tracks from my vinly LPs. It's got 4 LPs in this album, and I captured them all and I linked them into a full uncut recording, then it came to 4.91 GB.
Anyway, the file size that Mp3Tag could handle has got nothing to do with so called max file size from a Wiki page. It's just a software coding limitation, and I think Florian can fix it easily.
I could convert this WAV to FLAC file so that the size would be smaller enough for Mp3Tag to tag it, but I prefer not to doing that, 'coz my hardware is large enough.

There are several other benefits to moving to FLAC, including much better tag support for starters. Too many players have limited support for tags in wav files. Even if @Florian can/will make changes to mp3tag, I suspect you will still have issues down the line with the files in excess of the current 2GB limit.

I also use wav when I transfer my vinyl to digital, but I then separate them into the individual tracks and then convert to lossless.

Thanks for the info. I am capturing Enigma albums which are meant to be uncut. The album was produced like an "uncut" feeling.

The WAVE format uses 4 bytes to store sizes as 32 bit unsigned integers. Hence the format is limited to 4GB. That's a hard limit inherent to the design of the WAVE format and not specific to MP3Tag.

There are extensions to the format that allow for larger file sizes. E.g. the Broadcast WAVE format allows storing larger data across multiple files. Another format is RF64, which replaces the size definition of WAVE with its own structure with 64 bit sizes.

But both are technically similar but different file formats. See here for details:

2 Likes

Not a problem with lossless formats. They have gapless transitions that many players support. So you can listen to the entire album as if it wasn’t “cut” into tracks. Plus you can still have the benefit of accessing specific tracks when you do decide to that.

1 Like

I second the suggestion to use FLAC. You will save several GB of storage and get much better tagging capabilities. Much more suited for storing an entire album.

1 Like

Speaking of FLAC I think of a side question. If you convert a FLAC file into a FLAC, does it comprise the audio quality? Say i link 2 FLAC tracks into 1 long track and save it into a new FLAC file.

As the flac-format is lossless there is no change in audio-quality. You can even transfer them without changing the music quaility to wave again.
https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-join-flac-files
But I wonder why you want so big files. There is no way to tag songs in the file individually. If it's for gapless playing: There are players that can do this.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I guess i am just used to use .cue files for cut audios in some specific large "gapless" albums. And for albums that is not "gapless", yes i would also save audios one by one.

I personally also would cut it into separate track files. But FLAC allows to store a CUE sheet as part of its metadata, so many do store complete albs in a single FLAC, and if the player supports the CUE sheet that's a nice solution for also getting metadata.