Please dark theme option

I no longer use the mp3tag, because it dazzles me and my eyes hurt. Please dark theme option.

1 Like

If you don't use MP3tag any more why should a dark theme be added?
Please read also the announcement for V2.91:

"CHG: various UI color changes for improved usability under Windows high-contrast mode and dark themes."
So set your PC to a dark theme and there you are.

Hi @ohrenkino for me that I use very often :grin: the Mp3tag dark theme would be a great addition and I was going to ask for it...

I've set my windows 10 to Dark theme but Mp3tag doesn't seem to adopt that setting, maybe am doing something wrong but this is not working for me.

Which MP3tag version do you use? Should be the latest.
In Windows 10 you have to set the high contrast option.
And then MP3tag looks as dark as the rest.

@ohrenkino I use the latest one, but I've missed the part about the high contrast. I'll try that when I'll be at home.

Thanks once again!!!:grin:

Hi, @ohrenkino I tried it and you are actually right, But i don't really like that solution as it's messing all the other apps also, i would still prefer a native Dark theme support.

1 Like

You can save your normal windows theme to activate it as soon as you do not need the darker one any more.

From a user-perspective I think it's not suitable to switch between themes only to make one application look different — I don't think that anyone would follow that advice.

Also, for users who enabled the native Dark Mode option of Windows 10 (via "Settings > Personalization > Colors > Dark") I can understand why it would be nice that as many applications as possible would support it. It feels less like an accessibility mode (the high-contrast mode does) and more like a personal choice that is less straining on the eyes (for some users).

Unfortunately, there is no official API for Dark Mode yet. I did some preliminary experiments hacking around this, but gave up after realizing how much work this would be.

I'll keep it on the list as a feature request and might come back to it in the future.

I completely agree: why only one application? Why not set the whole system to a dark mode - which is already possible.
To get the whole benefit of a MP3tag-only dark mode, you would have to run it as a maximized application. But a soon as you switch to any other application window, the windows theme colours would strike again - with all all their eye-straining brightness.
So I doubt that this would really bring that leap in user-friendlyness.

I wonder how users will cope with the status quo when there is

and

the only available workaround for the time being is to use the windows means as awkward as it may feel, sorry.
This is my opinion - I respect that others have different ones.

Well, you could make MP3Tag (version 3) an UWP app …

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/design/style/color#themes

It would probably kill any chance to run mp3tag on other platforms, except Windows.

It's not planned and it would be a different app then.

I have a dark mode in my Windows 10 [one of the very few things that in my experience improved from Windows 7]. It helps but it is not enough. And I cannot switch to high contrast. I experimented also with dark / high-contrast settings of mi graphics card, but these workarounds also proved to be inconvenient for the overall usage

As for the other workarounds and a big picture of this problem:

In short: I have darkened [almost] everything I could in terms of operating system and software that I use [to few things I did not have time yet to get to]. I value these improvements and still view Mp3tag as being the single most bright drawback in my day-to-day opertions

And as we are discussing here dark theme capability, I would like to remind my other idea concerning colors from over 4 years ago