[WS] Genius (Lyrics)

Intro

After my first Web Source Script [WS] Tunebat and working on knowledge of regular expressions, I decided to create a new script and start a new thread to improve a web script for the best lyrics web source.

I've been working on trying to search on genius.com songs by artist and title and get a dialog to select the best option. It has been impossible for me to get search results, so I've seen it is better to try your luck and access directly to a web address. Maybe one day I develop a search script.

To access Genius Lyrics you have three options:

1. Lyrics by Artist+Title: Try your luck and enter artist and title. The script will separate words with character '-' and append '-lyrics' at the end, or
  2. Lyrics by URL: The script brings forward an optional URL, and you can change or find it using a web browser and copy/paste the url in input dialog. This is the safer way. :wink:
  3. Lyrics by URL (Ouargi): Similar to previous but the scripts brings forward an URL computed by Ouargi method.

Genius.com is a server difficult to work on, because it can answer the request using two different formats. The script supports both answers, so: Enjoy my work

Download

Genius#Lyrics.zip (4.2 KB)
Last Modified: 2021-05-14

How to Install

1. Download the .zip and extract to %appdata%\mp3tag\data\sources directory (Just hit Win+R and copy paste %appdata%\mp3tag\data\sources)
  2. You can access the scripts right-clicking on the title with mouse and Tag sources->Genius->Lyrics... if using version 3.06 or above.

Script Info

Availables tags are: LYRICS,UNSYNCEDLYRICS

Additional tags are: TITLE, COVERURL, GENIUS_URL. They are here to show you more information about what Mp3tag has found. If you don't want them just remove # sign in "Customization" section in Genius#Lyrics.inc file.

If you need more information that my script does not supply or is incomplete please don't hesitate to contact me.

You can try it and make suggestions. Enjoy!

Version History

0.1: First Public Release
0.2: Added a new search option, additional tags.

4 Likes

Hello, script works astonishingly well except for a case i came across, that of an instrumental/lyrics missing from the new web page, other than that i would like to express an enormous gratitude to you. cheers

1 Like

Hi @Ouargui, do you mean an instrumental song like Martin Garrix - Poison? I've tested it and unfortunately it works in only one of both web responses. I'm trying to fix it.

2 Likes

exactly the case, best of luck to you