Should I use ";" or "\\" or "-" as a separator?

To date I have been using a ";" as a separator for the Artist, Composer and Genre fields.
I would then do an action of merge duplicate fields for these fields after ripping a CD (or after a bunch of CD's).
This displays well with the music players that I use currently but whether if or I may want to use another player in the future I am wondering if there is a better solution that is more universal?.
Been thinking about whether it would of been best to use the "\" as a separator or even a simple "-" between names of multiple artists, composers and genres in those fields?
Would you have to do a merge duplicate field when using a "\" ?
I assume a simple "-" as a separator would simply be just an extension to the actual statment in the field and would just look like a longer single word.?
Also I probably should ask whether the multi value separator should be different between codecs
ie should ALAC be different to FLAC or LAME etc.
What works best for most players or is it a case of creating something if the player you decide to use does not like a particular separator character?
Given I have > 60000 tracks I want to get it right as I have my master copy as FLAC and then convert a copy as ALAC, LAME and AAC using dbPoweramp once I am happy with the FLAC version.
The conversion to each format takes about 24hrs+ so I do not want to do it too often :).
Thanks

Please note that the real separator between multi-value fields is a binary 0. MP3tag uses the \\to show (only show) that there are several fields of the same type, in the tag they are still separated by the binary 0.
Other characters as separators are down to the respective player and are treated by MP3tag like any other character.
E.g. the "; " is used by WMP but not by iTunes, so in WMP "Peter Gabriel; Kate Bush" would lead to separate entries in the artists list whereas iTunes would still show "Peter Gabriel; Kate Bush".
The same applies to other fields.
Some players can cope with real multi-value fields, others can't and show only the first entry they come across.

So, no, there is no

OK. Thankyou for your response..
So I guess the only question I have is would it be best just make the separators for multiple Artist or Composers or Genres a "\" and let the players deal with if it can.
Not sure what everyone else mainly does
I can also, I guess, just stick to what is working for me ie "; ' as the separator and keep doing the merge action.

Are you sure that you have multi-value fields, separated by the ", "? Check this in the extended tags dialogue (Alt-T) where you will only see multiple fields for each value if it is actually a multi-value field. Otherwise it is a plain single field that only the player interprets as having several values. For such a single field it is not necessary to merge as it already is.

With my current player if I do not perform a merge it only displays the first mentioned artist or composer.
ie jimmy Page; Robert Plant would just present as Jimmy Page without merging.
So have just been doing this for the last year or two.
Also if I use JRiver it does not seem to be bothered if I merge these fields or not. I use Jriver sometimes if I am streaming from my NAS to my stereo system via a DAC and PC ( USB connected.)

I was referring to the extended tags dialogue in MP3tag. Again: it all depends on the player how it interprets the data.
So, for "merging" fields there is an action that leads to a single field with a definable separator. If you choose as separator that what MP3tag interprets as field splitter (\\) then you get a split multi-value field more or less straightaway again.
So, check in the MP3tag extended tags dialogue, if you really have several fields of the type e.g. ARTIST, one with Jimmy Page, the other with Robert Plant as value.

If you have a single field, then it is not necessary to use the "Merge" action as there is nothing that can be merged.
In a single field you can easily replace the separator character with something different. But this is no real "merge".

Ok. Thankyou. Appreciate your response.
I will look at the Alt -T as you suggested and see what the field really is.

I would use multiple values in the FLAC master library, which means using \\ in Mp3tag and ; in dBpoweramp.

Then I would adjust it in the converted libraries if needed, which means that if the player in question doesn't support multiple values, I would merge the fields into one field using , as the separator. I would definitely avoid \\ and ; as separators in this case since they are used to indicate multiples.

This means different tagging for different players, but my personal opinion is that it's worth it because a lossless master library should have correct tagging.

Also note that if you use multiples e.g. Peter Gabriel\\Kate Bush they get listed under P and K if the player supports it, but if you merge to Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush it only gets listed under P, which would be a pity when you play from the master library.

1 Like

I wouldn't.
They are far too often used in real artist's names:
Earth, Wind & Fire,
Bell, Book & Candle
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Blood, Sweat & Tears
I will, I Swear
Portugal, The Man
Stock, Aitken & Waterman

and not to mention all those where the "The" is used as a suffix:
Beatles, The
Rolling Stones, The
Band, The
Etc.

Actually, I would suggest the "; ":
Players that use them: fine, I get several entries for the same track with access via each artist.
Players that don't use them: also fine, I see immediately that this is a track performed by several artists.
And for those players that do know how to cope with either: copies of the same track but with different data for artist are probably unavoidable. Best not to use such a player.

Good point but I do use , for my portable player and live with the "special cases" which in my case are very few.

I don't use "the" except where it's impossible not to, e.g. "The Band" and "The Who", and in those cases "the" is part of the band name as an entity (sorted under T). To avoid using sort tags, I most often omit the article - Beatles is just Beatles.

I realize it's probably different for the OP so , might not be the way to go. But I wouldn't recommend ; either since I can't entirely foresee the consequences when using various servers/players/taggers, and especially since the OP says he's using dBpoweramp for converting.

For example, if you would use ; in Mp3tag and then edit the file in a dBpoweramp program you could possibly end up with multiples again.

For multiples in portable or car players, what are the options? Is ; the most common separator? Is ; more common than "true" support for multiples?

Thanks.
Your comment about dbPoweramp when converting is interesting.
I convert from FLAC to ALAC or LAME.
Does this mean that dbP may be not leaving all the separators as a ";" when converting from FLAC to the others?
I've always used the ";" as a separator but I cannot remember why...think it may be that discogs and freedb mainly used it when looking at the metadata match libraries.
So far using ";" as the separator seems to give me what I want when using HiFiCast +DLNA as the music player. Foobar Mobile not so just for the composer multiples, but this may be because Twonky is used on the NAS so I am thinking of moving to Synology. in the hope this may be a better music server or allow me to at least load others.
So I suppose I am still a little uncertain as what to separator to use for my master copies of FLAC, ALAC, LAME and AAC...To date I have been using ";" and any '\' or '/" or others that seem to creep from time to time in I change to ';"

In the CD Ripper from dBpoweramp you indicate multiples with ; which means that the program writes multiple fields but the ; itself is not written into the metadata, it's just an indicator in CD Ripper.

In Mp3tag ; is not an indicator so it will be written into the metadata in a single field.

I'm not sure what happens in the Audio Converter from dBpoweramp when you load your already tagged FLAC files, but since ; is used as an indicator by dBpoweramp I just raise a warning that it might be interpreted as an indicator and thus split the field.

Since you have dBpoweramp you could test this with some sample files, to be 100% sure what actually happens.

If you test, be aware of the difference between "; " with a space and ";" without a space. You should test both variants in dBpoweramp but also in your player.