Windows Defender - Speed of loading files in MP3Tag

In the past I already noticed that the antivirus-software of windows-defender slows down the loading speed of files in MP3Tag dramatically:

At this time my third-party antivirus-software (Avast) had been gotten accidently deactivated and windows-defender activated.

This time I wanted to give windows-defender a second chance, deinstalled Avast and activated the defender.
The same happened as before: Mp3Tag became very slow in loading files in spite of the activated library-function.

I tested some options in defender:

• Exception for MP3Tag
  • Exception for the library-folder
  • Exception fpr MP3-files (Extension)
  • Deactivating real time protection completety

Only the radical deactivating of the real time protection changed the behaviour and the loading-speed was as fast as before.

I am curious if someone has a solution for the problem, that allows to use the defender.
Deactivating real time protection can't be such a solution. :unamused:
I don't think that this is a singular problem with my system because I don't seem to be alone:

And this defender-problem could also be an explanation for some posts here about slow loading in spite of an active library.

1 Like

I was wrong with this statement.
A hint of user @Alhifi made me check my settings again and I noticed that I had a type-error with the name of the process "mp3tag.exe".

The exclusion of the process "mp3tag.exe" ist the only necessary exclusion to the windows-defender to make Mp3Tag load fast.

I think this problem and its solution should be somewhere more prominent, maybe in the FAQ, because the windows-defender gets more and more dominant.

1 Like

Just you wait please

I have the persistent problem of slow loading of files to Mp3tag- since I was forced to go from Windows 7 to Windows 10. And that is despite that I bought even slightly faster SSDs. But that problem is obvious as sometimes the progress bar can visibly slow down and speed up during one load up; or even come to a complete halt, sometimes for a moment, sometimes for a few second. And I have free version of Avast. But I do not know about my real time protections settings

So what exactly did you do? And do you by Windows Defender mean Windows Defender Firewall?

I never had any such problems with Avast, only with the windows defender as Anti-Virus-Software.
And the problem with the defender is not slow down and speed up but continuous slow loading.

Thank you for clearing that out

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.